Monday, March 22, 2010

Self-reflection

I'm actually happy with how my midterm project changed from what it was supposed to be. It went from something really abstract (the idea of rubber duck social hierarchies is probably not appealing to all) to bathtub toys. More importantly, it let me model a lot more than the original idea. I might have approached it backwards by starting with the smallest possible piece and then building up, from the bathtub to the floor to the walls and finally all the decorative pieces like the sink and door. Figuring out the camera path after several failures was a proud moment.

There is certainly room to improve. I would like to add in some more animated objects and water effects like splashing when the dolphin jumps. It's only 13 seconds long but it could benefit from water sounds. If I could, I would slow the camera down a little and add footsteps so it would be like a child walking into the bathroom and discovering their toys swimming around.

Documentation Edit

Some people asked how I did the water in the bathtub. It's the shader shown above. You can tweak all kinds of things like wave length, wind speed and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment